Marissa DuBois in Slow Motion Full Fashion Week 2023, Fashion Channel Vlog,

Monday, June 13, 2016

Mayor of Teignbridge

The Mayor of Newton Abbot for 2016/17 is Councillor Liz Roberts and she will be raising money through various events for her Charities: Newton Abbot Memory Cafe and Newton Abbot Community Transport.

Mayor’s Cadet

Each year the Mayor chooses a cadet from one of the youth services in the Town to be the Mayoral Cadet for the forthcoming year.

Cllr Roberts has decided to utilise a cadet from both the 1322 Newton Abbot Air Training Cadets and the Newton Abbot Army Cadets.  William Thompson will representing the ATC and Tyson Gelden will be representing the Army Cadets.

The Cadets will take it in turns to accompany the Mayor to various Mayoral engagements.  

Chaplain for the year will be Rev. Patrick Parkes of the St. Paul's Church.

Member of the Town Council Committees: Copmmunity & Heritage Committee, Finance & Audit Committe, Policy & Resources Committee, Events Sub-Committee, Community Engagement Group, Neighbourhood Plan Monitoring Group

Personal Details

Born in Kitwe, Zambia.My father worked on the Copper Mines as an Electrical Engineer and my mother was a Local Government PA to the Governor.

I was educated both in Zambia and Scotland. My maternal Grandmother looked after me when I wasliving and being educated in Scotland.

When I  had completed my education in the UK I returned to Zambia where I  worked for a small firm of Interior Designers as PA to the owner.  I returned to London to do a intensive10 week course in Interior Designin but unfortunately when I returned to Zambia the position with the firm I had worked for was no longer available.
After a few years as PA at different companies I became an a assistant buyer for RIH Interntional in South Africa for 4years.    During my last year inSouth Africa I worked for a firm that supplied products from Toilet paper to steel products to the Copper Mines in Zambia. I  worked with one of the Chief Buyers as his PA and assistant buyer.

The political situation in South Africa was becoming dangerous,so in 1987 I  decided to leave and made my way back to the UK. I  stayed in North Wales for 3months.  I was unable to get a job because I did not speak Welsh. I left Wales and moved to Surrey. I was quick to secure a job with Air Products, and American firm based in the UK.
I worked for Airproducts for 6 years. During this time I met my husband. He was made redundant and secured a job in Newton Abbot for the local authority as Development Control Manager. I moved to Devon in January in 1994 and secued a job with a firm in Exeter.


After moving to my present home I needed to fill in my days and evenings and I answered a call to deliver leaflets for a local political party. I met lots of people and have formed some wonderful relationships within the party. I was asked if would run for Town Council in 2011.  I did so and was delighted to be voted on to the Town Council.  Ihave forged many working and personal relations with other fellow Councillors and the Town Council Officers. In 2015I was again voted on the Town Council.

My son and daughter-in-law moved to Australia to start a new life there. They have now a lovely daughter my granddaughter,Charlotte. I have been fortunate to visit them twice.It is the most wonderful feeling being a Grandmother.

I love to do crafting, and make cards to order. I am hoping to enhance on this and start making them to sell to the public.
I love to work with people and take an interest in their lives (without interfering).  

I am a School Governor responsible for Sports Premium and am Chair of the Learning and Teaching Committee,  I enjoy watching the children learn, play sport and develop through out the year. I also assist with new governors at their induction stage.


No comments:

Post a Comment